Senior caregiver positions offer a diversity of opportunities for both caring individuals with no experience and those with professional training as senior caregivers.
Senior care companies hire caregivers with a wide range of skills and availability to work different schedules as sometimes care services must be provided around-the-clock for seniors on hospice services or with memory loss. Senior care companies hiring Certified Nursing Aides and Companion Caregivers include:
- Assisted Living Communities
- Nursing Homes
- Senior Home Care Agencies
- Adult Day Care Centers
As the U.S. population continues to age, ongoing career opportunities for senior caregivers will continue. In addition, the number of women over the age of 60 will dramatically increase and as women are the primary caregivers, this will impact how care will be delivered.
Volunteers of America will discuss women and aging on May 10, 2011, at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. The discussion will focus on public policy to address the needs of America's women as they age and the resources that will be needed.
- Women can expect to spend 18 years caring for a parent.
- Women have a longer life expectancy than men on average.
- 66% of baby boomers feel they have not adequately prepared financially for the future.
- Nearly half of women caregivers (48 %) say the economic situation has made providing care more difficult.
- 39% of current non-caregivers are not confident about their ability to cover the costs of their possible future care responsibilities.
The first step in understanding how to plan for senior care is to understand the senior care options and costs. Medicare does not pay for long-term care in a nursing home nor in the home. Nursing home costs can range from $125 to $700 per day, depending on the care services and the location of the nursing home. Research senior care options, find the costs of care and begin your senior care plan. Those interested in beginning a career in senior care can read the job description and apply for a senior care job near them.